For more Worcestershire cycling events, see PushBike! annual listing available from the county council’s website.
NOTE: IN GREAT NEED OF UPDATING!
To help organisers avoid ugly clashes and prospective participants to find the events, here are regularly held sponsored rides that we know of in Herefordshire and Worcestershire.
- Blossom Trail Bikeaway, Vale of Evesham. 2012: Sunday 15th April. Choice of 11, 16, 27 or 50 mile routes, in aid of St John Ambulance. Contact 25 Hands Orchard, Great Comberton, WR10 3DZ, phone 01386 565373/710437.
- St Richards Hospice Bikeathon, 2011: Sunday 17th April. 15, 30, 45 or new ‘Saints Sportive’ 64 mile circuits from Worcester. Not a 2012 event?
- Macmillan Elgar Ride, early summer. 2011: 15th May. Family, intermediate or advanced rides, beginning and finishing at Worcester Racecourse. No event for 2012?
- LINC Three Counties Cycle Ride 2012: Sunday 10th June. Choice of 2 routes: the longer 64km option takes in Eastnor, Upton on Severn and Tewkesbury whilst the shorter 32km option goes through Bushley and Bushley Green to Upton upon Severn before joining the longer route. Leukaemia + Intensive Chemotherapy Fund supports patients and their families receiving intensive chemotherapy.
- British Heart Foundation Worcestershire Bike Ride, 2012: Sunday 29th April (earlier in the year than usual). Starts and finishes at Sixways Worcester Rugby Stadium, 17, 30 or 50 miles – country lanes and lush green landscape views.
- Elgar Sunbeam ride, from Bromsgrove CC with Elgar Society, Worc Uni, Worc CC, Worc City. First held Sept 07?, in aid of Clic Sargent, Acorns Hospice, Elgar Birthplace Museum. Starts Worcester (Uni) and includes Malverns, 15 or 50 miles.
- Churches ride, second Saturday of September. National event which began in Suffolk in 1982. Various local rides (e.g. Colwall one, info usually from Adrian Mealing).
- Leukaemia Research North Worcestershire Bikeathon, Sunday after churches ride (Sept). From Mere Hall, Hanbury (north east of Worcester). First held 1998?
We would be pleased to receive further information on the above and other local annual rides.
Cycle Malvern did about one leisure ride a month alternating between Sunday mornings and Saturday afternoons for a short while. Some of our little trips:
Sunday 30th September (2007), from Malvern Link train station to The Fold in Bransford for coffee/tea and cakes, total of less than 12 miles, half a dozen people on this.
Saturday 27th October was from Colwall train station at about 2pm, approx. 15 miles with culture stops at Coddington Church and Cradley village hall – 7 on this.
Sunday 25th November, 10.30 outside Prospect View in Pickersleigh Road for 15 miler to Clives Fruit Farm near Upton for late elevenses (was going to be early lunch!) and back – half dozen turned out.
Bike Week 2008 evening ride to the pub at Lulsley, just missing a badger crossing the road on the way back!